Accessibility help
Hide this site


If you are a victim of crime, you may be able to get financial compensation in a number of ways. 

Court-awarded compensation

If someone is convicted of a crime against you, the court may order them to pay you compensation. You can be compensated for a range of things, such as:

  • personal injury
  • losses from theft or damage to property
  • losses from fraud
  • being off work
  • medical expenses
  • travel expenses
  • pain and suffering
  • loss, damage or injury caused to or by a stolen vehicle.

If you want the court to consider awarding you compensation, you need to tell the police. You will need to give them details about the loss or damage you've suffered. The police will give this information to the Crown Prosecution Service, who will then make the request in court.

How compensation works

Criminal injuries compensation

How we can help

  • Hardship Fund

    The Hardship Fund provides temporary financial support if you experience a violent crime and are on a low income.

  • Violent crime

    More information about violent crime, including assault, and gun and knife crime.

to top

to top